Sunday, October 23, 2011

Navy To Study Using Wallops For Practice Landings


E-2 Hawkeye

NORFOLK (AP) -- The Navy will consider using the runway at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility as a site for practice landings by pilots.

The Virginian-Pilot reports that the Navy announced its decision Thursday. E-2 Hawkeye and C-2 Greyhound pilots would practice touch-and-go maneuvers and low-altitude passes.

Pilots of the propeller planes now use Fentress Naval Auxiliary Landing Field in Chesapeake and also practice in Jacksonville, Fla. To ease congestion at Fentress and save travel costs, the Navy is trying to find a field closer to home.

The Navy also is looking at using Emporia's local airport.

A pilot involved in the search, Cmdr. Matt Baker, had complained that the Wallops option was being ignored.

Fleet Forces Command spokesman Ted Brown says an investigation found that none of Baker's allegations were substantiated.

Source;  http://www.wvec.com/news/military/Navy-to-study-using-Wallops-for-practice-landings-132305898.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can remember not too many years ago Air Force One used Wallops Flight Facility to practice touch-and-go maneuvers. It was not long after the switch from the 707s to the 747s and it was a VERY impressive sight. The airport in Georgetown, Delaware was also used for practice. I have not seen this lately; possibly because of increased security?

Your friend,
Slim

Anonymous said...

I work at Wallops.. and I thought they do this already? Is there something different about what they will start doing?

jmmb said...

The article just stated that NASA runway was being considered so I don't know myself and would like to know. Maybe the runway is just used when another is not convenient.

Maybe someone can find out what type of aircraft flies nearby that sounds like a missle that is about to crash. It sends my cats for cover and causes me to close my eyes and hope for the best! I can't seem to get my nerve to grab the camera and run outside!

I do hope the Navy is given permission. I would have no problem with it....noise or no noise.

Anonymous said...

Off topic but on comment, the airport in Georgetown isn't used for such any more because we can't land planes of that size here. Once we get the runway extension in the works we'll be able to bring in the larger aircraft. The 737s that come in are pretty much the biggest that can land here.