Tuesday, January 17, 2012

General Assembly Update ~ Virginia Senator Ralph S. Northam


January 2012 Newsletter
Ralph S. Northam, Senator
Virginia's 6th District

Greetings from Richmond!  I hope that everyone had a relaxing holiday season and enjoyed spending time with family and friends.  Now that 2012 is upon us, it is time for the  General Assembly to convene in Richmond again.   We have many challenges, but also many opportunities this session, and I am excited to begin working with my colleagues in the Senate.   The General Assembly session will be fast paced, so I will be sending out weekly updates to keep all of you informed about what is happening in Richmond.  This will be a great way to track the progress of bills I am involved with as they move through the legislative process.

As this is an even numbered year, our most important task is crafting a budget to fund state government operations for two years.  Last month, Governor McDonnell released a budget proposal that suggested spending a shade under $85 billion dollars. While I applaud the Governor for some of his initiatives, including proposing an additional $4 million for the Wallops Island spaceport, and additional money for ODU and EVMS, there are a number of glaring omissions, including adequate funding for early childhood (pre-k) education, Medicaid, and natural resources protection.  However, I am confident that we can come to reasonable agreement on most budget issues, and at the end of the day pass a bill that helps Virginia remain a great place to live and work.
 
Last month I told you all about legislation that we are working on, addressing issues such as sea level rise, mismanagement of the Atlantic menhaden fishery, increasing physical education in schools to promote a healthier lifestyle among our children, and giving Hampton Roads more influence over regional transportation construction projects. I am working on a number of other bills as well, and I believe that they will greatly benefit the 6th District and Virginia as a whole.  I worked closely with Governor Kaine a few years ago to enact a smoking ban in restaurants, and now I am sponsoring legislation to extend that smoking ban to public school grounds and public buildings, including the General Assembly Building, where, incredibly, we still permit smoking. Additionally, I am advocating for new laws to protect law enforcement and other public servants by making our jails and prisons safer, as well as a measure to restrict the sale of methamphetamine precursors.
 
Most importantly though, I am here in Richmond for you. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Our office number in Richmond is 804-698-7506, or you can send an email to matt@ralphnortham.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and my legislative assistant, Matt Strickler, will happy to assist you in any way that he can.
 
Thank you again for allowing me to represent all of you in the Senate, and please continue to look for updates each week.  Stay safe and enjoy the weekend!

Sincerely,


Ralph S. Northam
Senator, Virginia's 6th District

No comments: