Sunday, June 9, 2013

TIME MACHINE ... 1885, 1998, 1886, 1952, 1946


(Reader-friendly viewing of newspaper archives material)

 
May, 1885
(Elyria Weekly Republican- Elyria, Ohio)

A Modern Rip Van Winkle

Leon Newton, a farmer living three and a half miles from Snow Hill, Md., went to sleep on Wednesday last at 10 p.m. and slept until 6 a.m. on Thursday. He arose for an hour, and then slept from 7a.m. Thursday until 5:30 a.m. on Sunday.

"I attended church at Snow Hill on Wednesday evening," said he today, "and when I went home to bed I did not feel remarkably sleepy. When I got up at 6 a.m. on Thursday I went to the stable and fed my horses. Knowing that my breakfast would not be ready until 8 o'clock I looked at my watch, saw it was only 7 a.m., and decided to take a nap. I crawled upon the hay rack in the corner and soon fell asleep. I was aroused by John Watson, my next neighbor, who stirred me with a pole. He was pale with fright as I climbed down to the floor."

"Where have you been?" said he.

"Asleep," said I.

"But what have you been doing since Thursday?"

"You fool," said I. "What do you mean. Isn't this Thursday"

"No, this is Sunday," said John, "who seemed to be afraid of me and commenced to edge toward the door."

"Well we talked for about ten minutes, by which time I was pretty well mixed and as scared as Watson was. I want you to let people know that I am a temperance man and have not drunk a drop of liquor, not even cider, for twenty-five years. I did not take a drug of any kind and yet it seems I slept over ninety hours, with only one hour's intermission. I have not been asleep since Watson woke me up, and, to tell the truth, I am not very anxious to try it. I sat up Sunday night and last night. I probably will do so again tonight."

"When I was a boy I came near being buried when I was in what the doctors called a trance. My mother was crying over me in my coffin when I opened my eyes. They took me out and put me to bed. The next day I was well after apparently being dead for three days. This time it looks to me as if I had only been sleeping. I never felt better in my life than I do now."

During Newton's sleep his family and friends became convinced that he was dead, and suspected some oyster dredgers whose enmity he had incurred of having done away with him. The dredgers began a search for the body. Five schooners and a whole fleet of oyster tongsmen dredged the river all day Saturday in search of the body. When Sunday dawned everybody believed Newton was dead. The news of the discovery was received with incredulity, and all Sunday evening the county folks flocked to the Newton residence to discuss his remarkable experience. He is a deacon at the Methodist church in Snow Hill.

 

April, 1998
(The Sunday Capital- Annapolis, Md.)

Artist wins stamp design contest

POCOMOKE CITY- Paul Makuchal stalks his subjects with a camera and a telephoto lens. His subjects don't mind a bit, in fact they win him awards.

The 21-year-old artist's winter scene featuring a pair of pintail ducks won the 1998-1999 Maryland Migratory Waterfowl Stamp Design Contest.

There were 48 entries submitted by 28 Maryland artists vying for the coveted honor potentially worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

His work will be reproduced as the Maryland Migratory Waterfowl Stamp that waterfowl hunters must buy and attach to their licenses.

Proceeds from the sale of the so-called duck stamps go to the state's Wildfowl Management and Protection Fund. In addition to hunters, the duck stamps have become a hot item for collectors.

Gene Deems, DNR coordinator for this year's contest, said Mr. Makuchal may be the youngest artist ever to win. As a 17-year-old, Mr. Makuchal took first place in the 1994 Junior Division.

 
 
September 4, 1886
(Peninsula Enterprise- Accomac)

Earthquake on Eastern Shore.

Throughout the Eastern Shore the earthquake shock of Tuesday night was very distinct. Persons who were in bed, or in upper rooms, felt it more sensibly. At Eastville the rocking was very severe — so much so that it was with difficulty some kept their seats. At Craddockville mantels were stripped of their ornaments, crockery smashed, and chairs toppled over. At this place the rumble and vibrations were very distinct. In one case a rocking chair moved with rapid impulse, and in another a man was aroused who believed his companion was endeavoring to lift him out of his bed. In two instances the shock was so severe that it was believed by the inmates of the homes burglars had broken in. All the way up the Peninsula it was clearly felt — and at no place above more distinctly than at Franklin City. The clocks along the railway line all stopped promptly at 9.53 p. m. thus fixing accurately the hour of the shock. — Since the event the mercury has fallen, and we are enjoying old October weather. No other shock has been felt here.

 
June, 1952 (Time Machine archive)

Pocomoke City was preparing to welcome thousands of visitors as host town to the 5th annual Delmarva Chicken Festival. The National Guard Armory on Second Street would be the site of many of the Festival activities including The National Chicken Cooking contest with more than a hundred competitors, and with press on hand from across the nation. More than 25 contestants would vie for the title of festival queen on the stage of the Marva Theater with a queen's ball to be held at Pocomoke High School on Market Street. A special forum for broilermen would take place at the Fox Theater across the street from the Marva. A nighttime street dance would be held on Willow Street and a thousand or more participants were expected to comprise the large festival parade highlighted by beautifully decorated floats.  

 
April, 1946
(The Joplin Globe- Joplin, Missouri)

Excuses for School Absence.

Accomac, Va., April 27. -(AP)- Directors of the Accomack county school system checked over the reasons attached to 4,005 notations attached of "absent" during the month of March. This one turned up:

"Floor painted. Couldn't get out of the bedroom."  


 
Do you have a local memory to share with PPE readers.. such as a big snow storm, a favorite school teacher, a local happening, something of interest your parents or grandparents told you about? It can be just a line or two, or more if you wish. Send to tkforppe@yahoo.com and watch for it on a future TIME MACHINE posting!

No comments: