Hogan: O’Malley-Brown Statement on Health Exchange Doesn’t Add Up
Annapolis, MD - April 2 - Gubernatorial candidate Larry Hogan criticized Governor Martin O’Malley and Lt. Governor Anthony Brown’s joint statement on their plan to abandon their $125,000,000 failed health exchange and start anew with a $50,000,000 platform. The GOP front runner also said the Administration’s claim of exceeding their enrollment goals is “pure fiction.”
“The Governor and health insurance pointman Anthony Brown now admit their $125,000,000 taxpayer-funded Health Benefit Exchange is a complete failure. Yet rather than learn from their mistakes as they claim to do in their statement, they’ve decided to double down and bet another $50 million on a new platform. Without a change in management, this too is doomed to fail.
It is pure fiction that O’Malley and Brown met their enrollment goals. Let’s remember, they promised to sign up 150,000 uninsured residents in private insurance plans under the ACA. They failed. They then said they really meant 75,000. They failed again. Now they claim that 60,000 or so have applied for private plans under their watch but they’re not saying if they were uninsured to begin with or have paid their first month’s premium. And left out of the statement were the 73,000 summarily dropped from insurance plans due to the ACA.
In summary: The person who so far wasted $125,000,000 of our hard-earned tax dollars, who got 150,000 mixed up with 75,000 and who thinks another $50 million may do the trick, believes he’s earned a promotion. That just doesn’t add up. If this were the private sector Martin O'Malley and Anthony Brown would both have already been terminated."
Authority: Larry Hogan for Governor, John C. Wobensmith, Treasurer.