(Reader-friendly viewing of news archives/historical archives material)
The Morning News (Wilmington)
(See enlarged text below the big view items)
The Sunday Star (Easton)
Five Years Ago
- Windows releases the Windows 8 operating system meant for tablets and touch screens.
- Sally Ride, the first woman in space, dies at the age of 61 on July 23rd.
- The popular iOS photo filter application Instagram releases a version for the Android operating system.
- Facebook goes public and its initial stock offering was at thirty-eight dollars per share, the current price is $55.06 (Jan. 28, 2014). Initial investors were worried about the social media website's ability to make money and approached with caution, this forced Facebook to think of creative ways to monetize the company.
- Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, dies at the age of eighty-two on August 5th.
2012 Pop Culture
- Musicians like Rihanna, Adele, Bruno Mars, Gotye, Carly Rae Jepsen, and Taylor Swift top the charts and win awards.
- Television shows like Homeland, The Voice, NCIS, Revolution, and Elementary are widely watched and discussed.
- Popular movies released in 2012 include The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, and Lincoln.
- Whitney Houston, widely recognized as one of the greatest voices in history, dies in the bathtub of a hotel at the age of forty-eight after drowning due to a drug overdose on February 11th.
Do you have a local memory to share with PPE readers or something of interest your parents or grandparents told you about? Please send to email@example.com .
When you're clicking around the Internet remember to check in with The Pocomoke Public Eye. We strive to be a worthwhile supplement to your choices.