Sunday, November 3, 2019

TIME MACHINE: 1977, 1937, 1946, 1887.





April, 1977
 
  Marylander & Herald


February, 1937


 Worcester Democrat



June, 1946
Salisbury Times


July, 1887
The Daily News (Frederick, Md.)


                                                         


1968..  


1974..  
                             

The Time Machine is a weekly feature I've enjoyed researching and compiling on The Pocomoke Public Eye since 2011.  I have fond memories of growing up in Pocomoke City and welcome reader contributions we can share about things you've read, remember, or were told relating to our Pocomoke/Eastern shore area...a sentence, a paragraph, or more all fine. Just email it.









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anne Ñutter was the occasional pen name for the late Shirley Richards.

Anonymous said...

My memory of "Teen Town" is a little different. I remember it being hosted by J. Dawson Clarke at the WBOC studio about where the Sturgis One Room School is now located. It was on Saturday mornings and I don't recall any real age limits but most of the kids were from 9 to 15. I don't seem to recall many young ladies, just us guys.

tk for PPE said...

When I first found the "Teen Town" article I too recalled J. Dawson Clarke's Saturday morning radio program "The Teen Town Record Club." As I recall, most of the kids in attendance were actually younger than teens. Don't know if there was any tie-in with the youth club mentioned in the article. My dad's store "Peoples Food Market" was located about halfway down the block on the east side of Willow Street between Clarke Avenue and Front Street and WBOC's Pocomoke City radio studio was nearby in a small single story building next to the Flax Confectionery Store.


Anonymous said...

I don't remember Flax Confectionery at all. I think there was a barber shop and some kind of bar. There was an old gentleman named Mr. Bounds who worked at Eagle Mills and every afternoon he would come in for a Budweiser. Don't remember People's either but I do remember John Lee Taylor had a grocery on the north side of 2nd street and a bunch of us fellows would catch bullfrogs and sell the legs to him for $1.00 per pound.

tk for PPE said...

The food market was at the Willow Street location from the mid 1940's to the mid 1960's. The name was changed to Bill's Foodland in 1960. The confectionery store featured a soda fountain and magazines/newspapers, and also sold sporting goods. At Christmas time they had a toys display on their second floor.