Showing posts with label Beverages. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Beverages. Show all posts

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Free Sluprees FROM 7-11 ON 7-11

The famous Slurpee turned 44 years old in June. Actually it’s been around in other forms even longer, sometimes referred to as a slushy or some similar name.

But in 1965, 7-11 bought a machine that made frozen beverages from its inventor, Omar Knedlik and two years later began selling the concoction as the Slurpee. The name allegedly comes from the sound people made while drinking them.

To mark the anniversary, participating 7-11 stores will be giving away free Slurpees in 7.11 ounce cups between the hours of 8 a.m. and 11 p.m.

Some healthcare professionals say that people should keep in mind while enjoying cold treats to beware of “spenopalatine ganglioneuralgia.” The better-known term is, a “brain freeze.”

Here’s what that’s about, according to “When cold stuff (like popsicles, ice cream or slushies) touches the roof of your mouth it can set off a nerve reaction (in the spheno-palantine ganglion, to be precise), that causes the blood vessels in your brain to swell. When the blood vessels swell, you get a headache. The headache usually lasts less than a minute.

“How can you make the headache go away? The key is to warm the roof of your mouth back up, thereby constricting (narrowing) the blood vessels. The easiest thing to do is to press your tongue to the roof of your mouth. You can also try drinking warm water. In the future, try to eat your frozen treats slowly and give yourself breaks between bites to let your mouth warm up.”

(I think we can all relate to the "brain freeze")

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Forklift Accident Leads to Epic Booze Bath for Driver

Deep in the recesses of a vodka warehouse in Moscow, you'd think they'd have more respect for alcohol than evidenced here.

In this video, a hapless forklift driver (perhaps after getting acquainted with the product he was moving?) manages to epically crush an entire shelf of stock, which dominoes to bring an amazing $150,000 worth of booze down on himself. Somehow, he only only sustained a leg injury.

Hopefully his skin absorbed enough hooch to knock him out long enough to miss how badly he got fired.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Drunk Driver Calls 911 on Self.

In Wisconsin, a woman decided to call 911 dispatch while driving home drunk from a local watering hole. The following is a transcript of the conversation.

Caller: I just want to know if somebody can follow me home because somebody seems to think I can’t drive home straight.

911 Operator: OK, why is that?

Caller: He seems to think I am too intoxicated to drive.

911 Operator: OK, and so you called 911, or he called 911?

Caller: Well, he wanted me to call 911 because he thinks I’m too drunk to drive.

The ‘he’ in this case was a boyfriend who’d consumed a 12-pack by himself, yet still had the wherewithal to point out the driver, who’d knocked back 6, should not be getting behind the wheel (and yet no foresight or judgment whatsoever to pass up a ride home).

The woman failed the Breathalyzer and was ticketed in her own garage, but not before earning the unlikely kudos from a county sheriff (possibly, a distant relation):

“I think a judge will look at her and say, ‘You know what? You stepped up to the plate. You did the right thing. I think it’s commendable.”

Thursday, September 3, 2009

This One Is For Pepsi Drinkers

It sounds nearly impossible, but the Food and Drug Administration has confirmed that a can of Diet Pepsi consumed by a Florida man contained a frog or a toad.

The Orlando Sentinel writes that an FDA report found that Fred Denegri's soda can had a small animal in it.

Denegri cracked open the can on July 23, took a sip and noticed a funny taste. He and his wife, Amy, said they saw the remains of an animal that was too big to actually come out of the can.

A Pepsi spokesman told the Sentinel that the company stands by its manufacturing process.

"As we've stated all along, the speed of our production lines and the rigor of our quality control systems make it virtually impossible for this type of thing to happen in a production environment," said Pepsi spokesman Jeff Dahncke.

But Amy Denegri said there was no way the animal could have sneaked into the can without she or Fred looking. Fred had reportedly pulled the can out of the refrigerator, opened the can and immediately began drinking it when he noticed the animal.

"The report proves that something was in there. We didn't do it," Amy said. "Obviously, it was too big for us to push inside that small hole."

The Denegris have no plans to sue Pepsi, but they are consulting an attorney for legal advice.

In May a man said he found a snake head in his meal at a TGI Friday's in upstate New York.

"We're kind of programmed to recognize the shape of a face so I knew it was a face and then I looked at the back and that's when I realized it was like tendons and spinal tissue and other vessels that were hanging out the back of this thing," Jack Pendleton of Ballston Lake, NY, said.

TGI Friday's confirmed that an uncooked snake head was somehow added to Pendleton's plate of cooked broccoli.