The male giraffe, who was born on July 28, was found dead in his enclosure on Thursday morning when zoo keepers made their morning check.
Necropsy results showed that the giraffe died from peritonitis, which is an inflammation of the stomach lining. The inflammation is caused by a bacterial or fungal infection.
Zoo officials say the giraffe was alert and responsive on Wednesday and had gained 28 pounds since his birth.
"The baby giraffe's loss is a tragedy," said Greg Bockheim, executive director of the Virginia Zoo. "In his short time here, our staff and visitors had already grown attached to him."
|PHOTO/ Virginia Zoo|