Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Little Piece Of Pocomoke History

I just thought I'd put this out for those interested in bits and pieces of old Pocomoke.

Now I don't really know if this is actually "Pocomoke history" but it is part of my history here. I have several Indian artifacts that I found as a young boy playing on the banks of the river, and I thought I had struck gold with all the stone tools and arrow heads I found when the town dug-out that trench near the Laurel st boat ramp, at that time the city maintenance building occupied that space and that was before River Rd was there.

What I'm posting is a sword that was found on a really, really low tide on the banks of the Pocomoke river, I was very young and my father found this sword in the mud, he brought it home and washed it off to find a well preserved piece of history.


I have tried to research this to find it's origin but about all I can find about this sword is that it a 1700's era Knights of Ohio officers sword (fraternal order of the knights of Columbus) and I'm not sure that is completely correct.

I sure wish this sword could talk, how did it find it's way to Pocomoke, and why was it in the muddy banks of the Pocomoke river.

6 comments:

Two Sentz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Two Sentz said...

PBS History Dectives. Contact them. They might even do a show about you!

Two Sentz said...

PBS History Dectives. Contact them. They might even do a show about you!

Two Sentz said...

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/

Check em out. Its a really neat show. They also have tools on their website which might elp you find out more on your own. Let me know how it turns out. I will post a story about it. Cheers.

The Public Eye said...

Thanks, I'll check that out and if I find anything I'll post my findings

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you ever followed up on this.. But maybe try the Discovery Center. They probably have resources and historical contacts that may be able to assist in finding the origins of it. What a neat piece you could share with the public if its history were known! You wouldn't have to give it to them, but it could be "on loan" as I have often seen things in museums.