Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Golden Retriever Saves Boy from Cougar


Dog is man's and boy's best friend.

CBC News reports that on Saturday night, 11-year-old Austin Forman was gathering firewood in his Boston Bar, B.C. backyard when his 18-month-old golden retriever ran towards him, jumping over a lawn mower and right into the path of a charging cougar.

"I knew at that moment that I would have to go get help, otherwise [Angel] wouldn't have any hope," Austin told CBC News.

Austin ran into the house, where he and his mother called 911. When Royal Canadian Mounted Police arrived at the scene, they found Angel under the back porch with the cougar's jaws gripped around her neck. Constable Chad Gravelle shot two rounds into the cougar's rear end, but it continued to attack Angel. Gravelle then got closer to the cougar and shot again, instantly killing the cougar, who still had Angel's face clenched within its jaws, CTV.ca reports.

"I feel very, very lucky. If it wasn't for my dog, I don't think I would be here," Austin told CBC News.

The dog came out of the ordeal with some extensive injuries, including a fractured skull, according to NBC's "Today." She has undergone surgery to repair the damage, and her vets hope for a full recovery.

"She was my best friend, but now she's more than a best friend," Austin told CBC News. "She's like my guardian now."

VIA

No comments: