Monday, March 8, 2010

Update From Va. Senator Ralph Northam


By Sen. Ralph Northam

We are getting closer to the end of this session, and are continuing to work diligently on the budget and other legislation before us. I have heard from many of you during the session, and I truly appreciate your interest and involvement in the affairs of the Commonwealth. Two of my bills have been heard in the House of Delegates this week, and were passed unanimously.

SB 189 repeals the date set for expiration of the Spaceflight Liability and Immunity Act. Repealing this expiration will help to establish the Commonwealth as a leader in attracting economic development related to commercial space flight. This is particularly important for growth centered at Wallops Island. SB 193 also passed the House unanimously, and will be sent along to Governor McDonnell for his signature. This bill makes it easier for the Commonwealth to terminate the contracts of service providers that commit Medicaid fraud.

Unfortunately, SB 186, which would have improved the process for reviewing ethics violations by General Assembly members, was not passed in the House. Delegate Armstrong is patroning a similar bill that has been passed in the House and the Senate. However, my bill included some stronger provisions, and it is a shame that House Republicans, who should be acting on this issue in the wake of the Phil Hamilton scandal last year, decided to carry this legislation over for the year.

I thank you all for your support, and I welcome your input during session. My office phone number in the General Assembly building is (804) 698-7506, and my email is SenatorRalphNortham@gmail.com. If I am not available, my legislative assistant, Matt Strickler will be happy to help. Please do not hesitate to call or e-mail, and if you are in Richmond, please feel free to stop by and say hello.



http://www.shoredailynews.com/

No comments: