Thursday, February 7, 2013

No Municipal Election For Pocomoke City This Year

Photo BW
By
Elaine Bean
POCOMOKE CITY — Since only two incumbent council members filed to run in the upcoming municipal election, the town will not hold an election this year.

Incumbent council members Diane Downing and George E. Tasker had already filed to run in the election and will automatically be declared the winners, according to city manager Russell Blake.

“There is no election required under our rules,” said Blake. “(Downing and Tasker) will be declared the winners.”

The cancellation of the municipal election will save the town and its citizens both money and effort.

“With no other candidates, we don’t need to go through the motions and expense of an election,” said Blake.

Downing, who represents the 2nd District, will be serving her second term as city council member.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to continue serving, because I enjoy it,” said Downing. “(Running unopposed) makes me feel like I’m doing something right.”

She was involved in bringing the Riverside Grill restaurant to Pocomoke City during her first term, part of her interest in downtown revitalization.

“That’s a big thing economically,” Downing said.

Downing would also like to see improvements in the condition of homes in Pocomoke City and is also interested in developing activity programs for youth.

“Maybe something that would hold their interest — an arcade, maybe. It takes time,” she said.

Tasker, who represents District 1, was elected in 2012 to fulfill the unexpired term of the late Bob Hawkins. This will be his first complete three-year term.

“I’m glad that no one ran against me,” said Tasker. “But sometimes it makes me wonder whether people really care when no one runs against someone unopposed. …Unless everyone thinks I’m doing the job. But I haven’t been in there long enough for anybody to think I’ve done a good job.”

Bringing businesses to downtown Pocomoke City and the industrial park is high on Tasker’s list of priorities. He is also concerned about flooding and other drainage issues.

“I want to see the downtown grow, and I’d like to see more youth programs come alive in town.

Maybe some open mentoring programs,” said Tasker.

Source:

No comments: