Sunday, July 15, 2012

Riverside Grill Review

I have been lumbering around waiting to hear or read what everyone thinks about the new restaurant the Riverside Grill before I gave my review or pass judgement about the restaurant.

I'm not getting any local feedback so hopefully this article will bring about those that have had the opportunity to eat there and are willing to review The Riverside Grill be it positive or the critics in the comment section.

The restaurant opened last Monday and by the looks of the parking lot(s) it has been quite busy especially during dinner hours.

I personally visited the restaurant the second day that they opened (Tuesday) for dinner. Let me start by stating that the restaurant looks magnificent, both outside and inside but sadly that's where anything positive about it stops for me.

 As I stated I went in for "dinner", well, much to my surprise, and disappointment there are no dinner platters available, they have appetizers and sides, but for meals they serve sandwiches only. The menu in my opinion made me feel like I was ordering food in a hospital because they give you a short (lottery type) pencil and for a menu you get a long narrow paper that itemizes all the different foods, sandwiches and condiments, each item had a check box to the right side of it that is used check-off what item(s) you want to order and you check it off with the short pencil.

When I entered the restaurant my wife and I were seated in the bar area, I have no problem with having been seated there but let me just say this, the way that the building is designed with the hardwood floor and lighthouse style open ceiling the acoustics are terrible. There happened to be several people at the bar in which one was a fairly boisterous woman and that section of the building actually amplified her screeching to a very annoying level. I then went to the (tiny) restroom and while gone the wife ordered us each a soda, when I returned to the table to order I find out that there was no menu other than the check-list, no dinner food or platters I was just ready to leave. When the waiter came by to take our check-list order I told him that I was looking for a dinner/meal and I did not want a sandwich and that I was sorry and to please put our drinks in to-go cups and let me have the check for the sodas, I paid the $4.22 ($5.00) for the two sodas and the wife and I left.

We did not leave mad by any means, we were however disappointed. This disappointment was probably my own fault because I had a vision in my mind that the restaurant would be a steak/seafood restaurant maybe like The Upper Deck, Suicide Bridge etc. and not a sandwich shop/bar.

As much as I want to give this place a 100% positive review I have to be honest and I can only give the details of my own personal experience.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have to say I agree to a certain extent. The restaurant is beautiful, however was seated nearly a hour before I was waited on. Once waited on, the food was great. So, my advice; let them have some time to work out more kinks and try again.

Anonymous said...

It's the same set up as the Backstreet Grill in Salisbury, and the food is great. You missed out!

Anonymous said...

food was incredible. not a seafood joint, but my burger was incredible. I enjoyed the menu style and the beach fries were to die for!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Market Street in Salisbury. Backstreet always looked full, never tried there. We don't need another Upper deck. But a nice place to eat is always needed here. But parking looks an issue. Not the best part of town to park after dark.
I shall try it soon.

Anonymous said...

I've walked there, ridden my bike, and arrived by boat. Nice facility, good (and learning) staff, and nice specials. It's pretty standard fare for the ownership. They know what they do well and stick to it. That's what's brought them this far.

What would I like them to change? I'd like a few more seafood options and a big piece of steak on the menu. Maybe they'll post these on the special board.

Don't be too quickly to judge. Like most bar/restaurants....it ain't for everybody.

Anonymous said...

I think they are smart. Who can afford a full meal, remember the Captn's Galley in Crisfield? Sadly failed because of high prices for the local area it was located in. In todays economy sandwiches are a sure bet for tourists on the go and the local people. Expectations lead to disappointment

Anonymous said...

Please give the Restaurant a chance they only been open a week,they are still working out the kinks. That is what is wrong with Pocomoke people are so quick to judge others. This is what people wanted a nice place to go and eat and not break their bank.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad we know this now though. I would rather know ahead of time if dinners weren't served than to come in with a half of dozen people, some who want seafood and steaks only to find out those items are not available and then having to leave which can be quite embarrassing for all concerned.
It will not stop us from going though if burgers and sandwiches are on our minds. I've also heard great things about the fries which I always order out since it is something I never make at home.
Someone also told me the shrimp salad was delicious.

jmmb said...

Anon 11:51 WOW! I just made up my mind that's what I'm going to have! Shrimp salad with those yummy fries everyone has told me about!!...on the deck. If it's hot my husband will just have to eat inside!

I've taken so many photos and worked so hard on photos to sit inside and look out towards the river!

Anonymous said...

I was disappointed there was no chinese food on the menu.. Plus a taco would have been nice to see

Anonymous said...

The beer is cold!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me as another poster stated before lets not judge this place until they have had time to work out the quirks !! have to say the ppl hve enough guts to open a place in this econemy give them all the credit they deserve they are trying to help pocomoke not harm us!!

tbayres said...

I just don't think the riverside grill is going to work it's not what people in Pocomoke really thought it would be and it sure is not what I thought it would be. I went by there and went in a couple days ago and saw the "menu" if you can even call it that and prices and left before the staff could even come to see what I wanted to drink. it may work in Salisbury but this sure ain't Salisbury

Anonymous said...

@tbayres...

the only way that it will work is if the folks of Pocomoke support it. No business in Pocomoke will succeed with out support from the folks who live near it. While you may wish for failure, there are many of us who are optimistic.

Spend your money locally. Riverside, Don's, Upper Deck, whatever you like. But please don't spend it in Salisbury.

CL MARSHALL