Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Surf Dog Says: "TEACH YOUR DOG TO SURF: BEGINNER SURF DOG TRAINING TIPS AND VIDEO LESSONS!"


There have been so many people that have helped me surf, since mom has physical "issues" that keep her from being able to handle me in the water.  Other people have very graciously come forth to assist me, especially my surf coach, Robbie Nelson.  In the spirit of focusing on what we can do, rather than want we can't, we realized dog training was something we CAN do. 
So, to thank all those who have helped me, I'd like to pay it forward... and offer my help to other dogs who are new to surfing, or those who may be having "issues" with it, by providing some surf dog training tips and videos.  I figure if these dogs learn to surf, they'll enter surf dog contests, and the organizations that host the contests can raise more funds for their causes, and change more lives!   
These tips will take you to the point of surfing in the waves, and then you can contact one of the great organizations that give surf dog lessons in the ocean... Helen Woodward Animal Center's Doggies Surf Clicnics, Su'ruff Camp Program at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, Surf City Surf Dog, and Coronado Surfing Academy.
Because my mom is a certified dog trainer, and believes in foundation training for pretty much anything dog related, I started my training when I was just a wee pup... but, you can start at any age!   Our philosophy of training is relationship based, meaning two way communication!  Relationship based training creates a very solid human-canine bond, and you'll have fun exploring your dog's mind when you listen to what he/she has to say!
If you saw my inspirational SURFice dog video, you already know that my mom believes in letting dogs choose their path in life.  Rather than trying to mold dogs into human expectations, she believes in allowing them to be who they truly are, even if it's something completely opposite of the original goals.  I still like to chase birds, and mom gives me plenty of opportunities to do so, but I can control my impulses too.  So, if you're just having a problem with distractibility, these tips can help.  But, if your dog really doesn't want to surf, don't make them.
The main thing with relationship based training is... you'll be improving your human-canine bond while building confidence, and having fun sharing an activity both in and out of the water, or wherever your dog may lead you!  The tips only take a few minutes a day, and most can be performed in the comfort of your own home!
These tips are perfect for those who...


  • Are new to dog surfing, and want to build a foundation before hitting the waves.
     


  • Want to do some surf dog training at home, especially in the winter!
     


  • Have encountered "issues" such as jumping off the board, or distractibility.
     


  • Want to foster a stronger human/canine bond that easily transfers to the water.
     


  • Have limited time, and can't get to the beach regularly.
     


  • Want to add surfing to their training repertoire!

Ready?  Let's get started.  There are videos that go with each lesson, and appear as links under the title.  You can read the tips and watch the videos in whatever order you want, but they do go in succession.  But, the most important lesson is... HAVE FUN WITH YOUR DOG!!

For more visit Surf Dog Ricochet's TRAINING TIPS HERE and be sure to check out Ricochet's website HERE

1 comment:

jmmb said...

I hope our "adopted neighbor dog" doesn't hear about this. He won't want to play frisbee with his plastic icecream lids anymore.