Thursday, May 17, 2012

Be Sure To Give Chief Sewell A Big Wave....

Taken from "Why Do We Kill?" written by Kelvin Sewell & Stephen Janis
Case File 11- pages. 114, 115

Here is a part of what the current Chief Kelvin Sewell says about his first days in Pocomoke.  New to Pocomoke, and a Lieutenant with the Pocomoke City Police Department  at the time, he had an experience that we all think nothing of.....a simple wave of the hand. 

"I was standing outside the Pocomoke City P.D., waiting for a car, I think.  As I stood there waiting, I noticed someone across the street waving.  Instinctively I turned around to see who the person was waving to.

Suddenly I realized the woman was waving at me.

......That's what crossed my mind when I waved back at the woman in Pocomoke City.  It was a good moment:  I felt like I was a part of something, a community.  That they trusted me."

I hope by now you have read the book and have a true appreciation for what he has  written.  Pocomoke is like no other town.  And Baltimore, even with the beauty that is there, is just different. 

I, for one, appreciate the way Chief Sewell feels about the town  I grew up in.  I miss Pocomoke and times  and I'm only a few miles away.  And  it's always nice to run into him whenever I am in Pocomoke to take photos....because I'm certainly not going to be there to commit a crime!

A few days ago, while  driving by the police department  I stopped on Second Street to yell a "hello" to  Chief Sewell.  Councilman Malloy was with me since we were headed to the new restaurant to take photos.  Teasingly,  I offered the  Chief the opportunity to ride along in the back seat....the windows are tinted and no one would be able to see him.  He declined so I shared my freshly picked local strawberries with him. 

And then on the way home I thought about the woman in his book that had waved to him those few months ago. And I recalled what he had written that led to his confusion in a simple wave.  I actually felt a little  sad for the Chief.  He's probably never been offered  strawberries like that before....  Probably the only thing from a car window he has ever witnessed is a gun.  That's really sad.  Wish I had left the whole quart!

Honestly, Chief Sewell is a wonderful person, is doing a remarkable job and he does like Pocomoke!   Be sure to give him a big wave.

All of you locals have seen the new sign in front of the soon to be Police Station.  It looks wonderful and I like where it has been placed.    Cameras have been placed on the building and from what I could tell on the inside too. 


When they make the move from Second Street to Market  Street  the department  will probably the   have  much needed new furniture and supplies already in place.   Pocomoke City Council, at the last meeting,   approved a certain  dollar amount of  to go towards new items.



Photos taken Friday  May 11, 2012

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Around here one does not "wave". When you encounter someone on the street or driving on the road, whether you raise the whole arm, or just the hand or even one finger, you "speak".

Your friend,
Slim

Anonymous said...

Slim I'm starting to have my doubts about you living here on the lower Eastern Shore. How can someone speak to another person if they are both passing each other in a moving car driving 25 mph. Do the math buddy.

Anonymous said...

"Speak" is the local term for "wave".

Examle #1- When I see Chief Sewell (or Don Malloy or Rob Clarke or whomever) on the street I make a motion with my hand or arm but I don't say I "waved"; I say I "spoke".

Example #2-Slightly after 6:00 am some of the local farmers are on their way to Hardee's while I am going in the opposite direction. I raise a single finger from the steering wheel as an acknowledgement. They do the same. We didn't "wave" at each other, we "spoke".

I am definitely in and from Pocomoke City. It is 2:00 pm, 75 degrees, the sky is partly cloudy and the wind is from the northeast at 7 mph and I am not going to see David Ogden Stiers tonight.

Your sightly exasperated friend,
Slim

jmmb said...

Oh, I'm slightly exasperated myself, Slim.

For the most part I'm a tough old gal and I try very hard to speak correctly, spell correctly and even think correctly.

However, on this day, I must tell you that I don't believe I have ever been so humiliated over one simple word and (your say) it's misuse. But thank you....

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Chief! GREAT man. A man of INTEGRITY.

Why would you NOT go to see DOS?

Anonymous said...

Prior commitment. Not meant as a slight to Mr. Stiers, but I just had prior plans.

Your friend,
Slim