Sunday, November 1, 2009


I love pumpkins. I love the pumpkin pies made from them. The birds enjoy the seeds. But the one use of the pumpkin that seems to be scarce anymore on Halloween is the carved jack-o-lantern. Every year there are jack-o-lanterns in my yard.
I've had them stolen and smashed in the street. Many people have. But I read a heart-warming story today that makes me still believe that there are nice people in this world.
Someone played a Halloween trick on two neighbors in Manassas, Virginia Saturday night by stealing their pumpkins from the front porches of both homes.
It seems the one basketball sized pumpkin taken from one porch was returned with two triangle eyes, a triangle nose and a mouth with two teeth missing carved into it. The neighbors stolen pumpkin was returned to her porch too, with one eye carved like a star.
One of the neighbors commented: "It's Halloween. I guess people do strange and weird things."
And yes, people do. I've just never heard of this happening before. And I wish the "pumpkin carver" lived near me to help with mine!

No comments: