Saturday, June 2, 2012

MSP Conducts Death Investigation in Pocomoke City

Photo/Pocomoke City Vol. Fire Company


(Pocomoke City, MD) The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit is conducting an investigation into the death of a Virginia Beach man today, after he led police on a foot chase and resisted arrest after being involved in a motor vehicle crash three days ago in Worcester County.

The deceased is identified as Yakuna McDonald, 23, of the 1200-block of North Tomcat Court in Virginia Beach, Virginia. After a motor vehicle crash and leading police on an extended foot chase on Tuesday, May 28, McDonald was transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center, where he was being treated. Three days later, he was pronounced dead.

Yakuna’s brother, Thadius McDonald, 22, of the same address was arrested and charged after the motor vehicle crash. Thadius was charged by the Pocomoke City Police Department with possession of marijuana and possession of paraphernalia.

At 5:30 p.m. on May 28, officers from the Pocomoke Police Department responded to southbound Route 13, south of Brantley Road for a reported motor vehicle crash. The preliminary investigation indicates Yakuna was the driver of the car and his brother, Thadius was the passenger.

The preliminary investigation by the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit indicates that upon arrival of officers from the Pocomoke City Police Department, the brothers were observed standing near the vehicle and possibly impaired. The car they had been driving was on its roof on the southbound shoulder of Route 13.

After officers on the scene noted a controlled dangerous substance in the vehicle, police attempted to take both men into police custody. As police were arresting Thadius, Yakuna fled the scene on foot, leading police on a foot pursuit for approximately one-half mile.

When officers were able to catch up to Yakuna, he resisted arrest by kicking and fighting, injuring at least one of the arresting officers. Once handcuffed, officers attempted to carry Yakuna to a nearby police vehicle for transport, when he fell unconscious.

A state trooper from the Berlin Barrack, who had arrived on scene after the foot pursuit began, immediately performed CPR on Yakuna. An ambulance, already on scene to treat the injured officers, took over the medical treatment of Yakuna and transported him to Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury.

During his medical treatment, Yakuna was placed in the Intensive Care Unit. Three days later, he was pronounced dead. Yakuna will be transported to the Medical Examiner’s Office where an autopsy will be completed to determine the cause of death.

The Pocomoke City Police is handling the motor vehicle crash investigation and the controlled dangerous substances found on the scene. The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit is conducting the death investigation. Investigators from the Worcester County Bureau of Investigation and the Worcester County State’s Attorney are assisting with the investigation as it continues.

No comments: